Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A little insight into my cinemaphilia

We watch films when we're still in Pampers. Sometimes, before we even comprehend language, we're sat before a TV screen with Dorothy and Toto starring right back.

For anyone who ends up appreciating film as more than just a Friday night escape, you tend to remember the film that made it that way.

For me, it was Magnolia. I was certainly not used to a three hour melodrama, and I certainly did not expect the ending that awaited me. I remember sitting up in bed when the storm cadence began. I had waited a substantial amount of time to see how this mosaic's loose ends would be tied together. After witnessing the deus ex machina that "opened" the ensemble character's eyes, I had an epiphany of "oh, it's really up to me to interpret".

It was this realization that led me to eventually appreciate A Serious Man, Dead Man, and every David Lynch film besides Elephant Man. Watching film is no different than looking at a painting. You're presented with something, and its solely up to you to make out of what you will.

Sure, there are films (mostly during May, June, and July) that need not require this internal absorption. I tend to seek out the ones that do.

To name some of my favorites can be easily summarized by mentioning a few of my favorite directors. From Scorsese to Coppola to Kubrick to Altman. From Jarmusch to Tarantino to Anderson to the Coens. Hitchcock to Wilder to Clouzot to Welles. There are few filmmakers that have any sort of legacy that I do not appreciate.

With the exception of Natural Born Killers, which I firmly give a 3/5 rating, I have yet to be fully impressed by Oliver Stone. The same can be said for Von Trier and Polanski. Chinatown stands firm at 3/5 as well.

On my plate, I have a lot more French New Wave filmmakers like Goddard and Truffant to explore, as well as off-beat types like Wenders and Bunuel. Bunuel I am excited about because I thoroughly enjoyed The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.



But, from here on out, any film I see will garner a review. Any film I re-visit will receive the same treatment. Eventually, I'd like to look back at these entries as a completed bucket list. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment