Friday, March 11, 2011

Mystery Train


Well, then. Having finished Mystery Train mere moments ago, I am left with an overall feeling of appreciation. Slight appreciation. The slight arises from the point I made about why Nashville succeeds-I can't seem to answer the "why am I watching this?" question. Sure, independent of each other they are solid, quirky shorts. Put together as a motion picture, however, and one must really ask- what is the point?

Why did I watch these three stories and what did I get out of it? If you're able to answer these questions, then you likely do not need the "slight" disclaimer. With the exceptions of the score and some of the characters, I didn't take much away from this film.

Jarmusch has an eye for casting musicians as actors. It is fun to see 'Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Joe Strummer pull off solid performances. Care to see a drunk Strummer robbing a liquor store? Look no further. There is an early Buscemi sighting, too! The sounds of electric guitars picking around blues lines that feel eerily similar to "Smoke Stack Lightning" creates a cool mood and atmosphere with which to guide the characters down the streets of Memphis.

Would you like to know more about this quirky film? Care to dabble in the 'anthology' genre? Give this film a watch. I'll leave you with a quick scene to digest. It should leave you wanting more... My overall analysis? 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment